Friday 23 September 2016

'IN BUT NOT OF (YET)' Self Portrait by Laura May Grogan



I live in Mexico City now. As of 5 weeks ago. I don't speak the language, I know very few people and can't walk around alone in many areas of town. It is simultaneously isolating and exciting, scary and freeing, strangely. 
My existence here is very dependant on my partner, a new world in itself. 
This gif is an attempt to showcase these things. I am in these landscapes of Mexico City, but not of them.

Separated by a backdrop 'painted' in much the same way many of the buildings here are - with thick, imperfect white paint. It is also held by my partner, for both logistical and safety reason (with a very big expensive camera in non-tourististic parts of the city) I couldn't even take a self portrait without him.
A gif was needed, because the idea that I could represent myself in just one picture doesn't quite fit with the multifaceted, slightly egocentric view I have of myself. I am a collection of experiences and influences. Currently this city and it's ramifications being the most influential.

You can see the gif and other works by Laura at her website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment