Saturday 28 July 2012

CROCHET BIRD BY KAREN NIX

Being a teacher I guess that my daily goal is to make a difference for the kids that I work with - to connect with them and help them discover something new about themselves and what they can do.
 
When reminiscing about the teachers that did that for me, I thought of my Year 5/6 teacher, Sr Rose. Sr Rose had a real love of birdlife which she passed on - in fact, imposed on all the students in her class. We wrote about birds, drew birds and embroidered birds. She talked about birds with a passion that had along term influence on me. She was also the one who had the patience to teach such a young group of girls how to crochet -not with wool, but with cotton as we pain-stakingly crocheted around our bird embroideries.
Even though I probably had little appreciation of Sr Rose at the time -all those years ago, I know that she passed on skills and passions that I have loved and shared over many years. So here is my reminisce project.
 This is an embroidery and crochet piece that I made with Sr Rose when I was in grade 5/6.

No comments:

Post a Comment