Tuesday 24 April 2012

A BLUE BOOK BY GILLIAN NIX

For this month's blue theme I decided I wanted to make a fabric book.  My year 11 students are working on an artist book project that brings together a range of textile based skills....so I thought I would have a go myself!  The book is loosely based around the theme of water and its many variations.  I started this project with one metre of white poly-cotton and just basically played at combining different techniques together.  I didn't have a clear plan in mind and just let it evolve.  I used tie-dye, shibori, screen printing, lino printing, solvent transfer, hand embroidery and free motion embroidery.  I used some really good instructions from another blog here.  I hope you like it!



This is the front....

...and this is the back...


Detail from one of the pages where I used free motion embroidery ontop of a tie-dyed piece of fabric...




No comments:

Post a Comment