Monday 19 December 2011

PAPER CUT



This is my Art Club submission this month, and I decided to make a paper cut. I spent a bit of time living in China in 2006 and I have been obsessed with paper cuts ever since. I also adore the work of Rob Ryan!

I used navy blue card to cut out, which was a good weight to use, as it didn't rip too easily. I didn't have any of the official paper cutting scissors that they use in traditional Chinese cuts, I just used a craft knife.

I am really happy with the end result, and I know that I wouldn't have made a paper cut if it weren't for Art Club, so that makes me even happier!  




This is my initial drawing (so technically I used 2 pieces of A4 paper to make the paper cut, but hey, I won't tell if you don't). 

I have 2 books on traditional folk patterns from Russia and Eastern Europe, which I looked through for inspiration.  I then drew out my design on the paper and went over it in black marker.  This part is important as it is easy to get confused with what bits you need to cut.  I cut away the white parts of the drawing, which was taped over the top of the blue card.


No comments:

Post a Comment