Friday 7 September 2012

COWBOY DAD

It didn't take me long to decide the subject of my Western theme...my dad, Mr Dennis Hoodless. 
My dad loves Western filrms, so much in fact that the family dog is called Duke (after The Duke, Mr John Wayne).  Not only does he love Western films, he is also from the West coast of Scotland - two very good reasons to choose him!

I had initially thought about making a lino of him as I love lino very much, however, I was so inspired by Issy's etching pieces over the last few months that I thought I would try out etching. 

My process was as follows.....

1. Photoshop dad wearing a checked shirt and cowboy hat.  He doesn't actually wear cowboy clothes in real life, but hey, maybe after seeing this project he might consider a new look!  Chris did this part as he is Photoshop genius, I was visual supervisor.
2. Draw dad.  I made this drawing using fine liner on paper.  Lots of cross-hatching.




3. Etch.  I placed a photocopy of the drawing under the clear accetate and scratched into the surface of the accetate using an etching tool.  This is the etching plate after I had printed a few times, and it has kept a bit of the ink in the grooves.


4. Make a print.  I trialled printing with sepia and black inks, which I have photographed for the blog. 




Altogether on the floor...









No comments:

Post a Comment