Sunday 17 June 2012

THE RUSSIAN DECK BY ISSY ODDIE

Okay I have a terrible camera... the images aren’t great... But at least I finally completed my first around the kitchen table project! Woot Woot! 

So Russia, I was thinking decorative Easter eggs, Faberge eggs, antique matchboxes, big floral textile patterns, vodka, tsars, fur hats, ballerinas.... 
In the end I really wanted to go matchboxes, but then came across an old deck of cards my step dad bought in Siberia 30 years ago... I have a bit of a thing for cards, so thought I’d just chuck Nicholas II onto a card with a couple of Faberge eggs… 
I did a bit of copper etching last year and was feeling a little rusty, so this project was a good excuse to get back into it…
  

1+2 – Initial sketches of Nicholas II 

3. Said Siberian cards.
 4. Mock up with borders, clubs and Russian writing, translation: Issy Oddie Around the 
kitchen table May 2012.
 5. Image scratched into copper plate with hard ground base (the hard ground protects the copper from the acid so only the lines will be scratched) ** the copper used was the back of another picture so is fairly scratched up already, as you’ll see in the finished picture.
 6. First print from plate.
 7. Wanted to add shading to background of card… so I did a 3 step aquatint… can vaguely see the copper is duller in areas.
 8. One of a few prints after the aquatint, I stuffed the block out which added a couple of ‘’rustic’ patches to the edge of one side of the card. Also rubbed the ink back too much on the image of the card… but kind of like it, gives it a ghostly look. 
9. Final piece! I sanded back the aquatint to reduce the contrast of the rustic patch and 
also get rid of some of the aquatint graininess.
Done and done.











No comments:

Post a Comment